Monday, December 19, 2011

In continuation...

In continuation…
My most inspiring night was in the early nineties when I drove to Washington DC to see a Positive Force show. After picking up a friend in Maryland we arrived at the show in the basement of a DC church. Positive Force also booked another show just down the street and many kids were walking back and forth. The other show was of interest to me, but the bands at this venue moved me in ways other than just what my ears can hear.
This show was Rain Like The Sound Of Trains; who were later signed by Dischord; Farside; which added much needed emotion to hardcore; and Into Another; which revolutionized not just hardcore, but music as a whole. No band before nor after has ever created music like that of Into Another and with lyrics that should change the very heart of any person with a sound mind and open heart.
The bands, the lyrics, the vibe, the friends they all had a huge impact on me and the rest of my life, but not as much as one larger factor; Positive Force.
Positive Force booked shows to educate and entertain, but also to create an awareness of the issues in their own neighborhood. With the money generated from shows, they created soup kitchens, to feed those in need. The truly positive nature of Positive Force changed me forever and put a fight in me that I hope to only strengthen with each day I exist.
It's been 3 months since I have been to a show and maybe longer before that show, but it's not the show that is important. Sometimes to do what you love, you have to step away from what brought you to love.

No comments: